Tuesday 17 April 2018

Book review - We Need to Talk About the Conditions of my Imprisionment by Michelle Tan




It's been a while since I had much to do with toddlers and small children so I put that out as a disclaimer right now. However, I was thrust back into the world of temper tantrums, fussy eating and Yummy Mummies as soon as I started to read this wonderful collection of thoughts about parenthood. Michelle Tan has assembled a witty group of parents to share some of the highs and lows of living with young children. But beware: you may find yourself laughing out loud as you share the embarrassment, the pain and the sleep deprivation that comes with the territory!

From the opening Fairy Tale for the Perfect Mother through to the title piece We Need to Talk About the Conditions of my Imprisonment I found myself smiling with recognition, snorting in solidarity and laughing out loud at the things parents go through in the course of an average day with little ones. I loved the brutal honesty of Why Can't We Have Sex Like The Coneheads? I empathised with the embarrassed mother in Where Do Babies Come From? I loved the children's dialogue in The Green Food Strike. Mostly though, I felt deep sympathy for the poor food soaked, sleep deprived, embarrassed parents who are struggling to get through another day which is being derailed by their offspring. I salute you and wish you luck. I'm also insanely glad that I've left those difficult days far behind me!

The book is released on 21st April but you can pre-order it from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?k=we+need+to+talk+about+the+conditions+of+my+Imprisonment

No comments:

Post a Comment